If you have been a reader of East End Taste for at least six month, you will already know that I love to create and experiment with recipes I find on my favorite food blogs and in antiquarian cookbooks. Lately, I have been focusing my search on baked goods that do not contain a lot of added sugar. Otherwise, I have cut the sugar ingredients in half to a third. I still find that whether it is scones, muffins, or cookies, the baked items still taste just as delicious with just a tad of sweet.
This recipe below for Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal Bread is a perfect example. Originally, the recipe called for a cup of sugar, and I adapted it to have no more than 1/3 cup of sugar with unsweetened apple sauce. This semi-sweet bread was such a huge hit with my friends and family, and it stayed moist for several days. I recommend store in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. Plus, you can adjust the sweetness with how much creamed honey you add. Browder’s golden creamed honey is a must for baking and is so versatile. Expect many more recipes to follow with their signature honey.
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 t salt
- 2 T cinnamon
- 2 t baking powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup vanilla nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 t vanilla
- Preaheat oven to 350 degrees, grease mini loaf pans
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl gently with a spoon: flour, oats, salt, cinnamon, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Mix ingredients in a separate bowl: sugar, oil, eggs, apple sauce, yogurt, and vanilla in a mixer, then add dry ingredients. Mix all ingredients on low in a mixer.
- Scoop the batter into the mini loaves pan, making sure the batter comes about a half inch below the top of each tray.
- Bake for 42 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove mini loaves from the oven, wait ten minutes to cool. Spread Browder’s Birds’ Creamed Honey on top of each mini loaf, or serve on the side. dust each loaf with cinnamon.
Yields 8 mini loaves
*Recipe adapted from Lovely Little Kitchen