Who knew works of art could taste as good as they look? When it comes to layers of distinguished flavor, a palette of decadent, intriguing ingredients, combined with a sexy, bubbly atmosphere, Om Nom Kitchen on Flinders Lane in Melbourne’s Central Business District has hit a home run. Om Nom Kitchen is set inside Adelphi Hotel, which is known as the world’s first dessert hotel, with their kitchen centering all dishes around dessert. At the helm of this creative masterpiece is Executive Chef Jo Ward, whose background includes working alongside award-winning chefs in Michelin-starred restaurants.
My guest and I visited during dinner on a Thursday evening. Om Nom Kitchen is open for dinner as well as lunch on select afternoons and high tea on the weekends. To start, our drinks of choice included:
Girls Night Out: Vodka, watermelon juice, fresh pressed raspberries, violet & rose syrup, fresh pressed citrus. Served straight up on a mirror platter with raspberry & chambord lipstick, champagne perfume. ($28)
Sex on St Kilda Beach: Peach liqueur, rose foam shooter, serving of chambord caviar, rum, coconut, fresh fairy floss. Presented with sea shells, beach towels & edible sand ($28).
Lady Lavender: tequila blanco, lavender sugar syrup, lavender infused sugar rim and fresh lime juice. 10% of each cocktail sold was donated to the Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre in Melbourne. This cocktail was available until March 31st, and was brought to the menu by the winner of the charity cocktail competition, Jess Van Ziel.
For our tour through the entrées, we participated in the Feed Me Savoury + Sweet tasting, which included the chef’s selection of their most popular dishes for $75 per person, two person minimum. These included:
- Sweet Corn Croquettes: chilli & lime crema
- Tea & Toast: Tuna tartare, yuzu curd, tomato tea
- Heirloom Tomato Salad: Goats curd mousse, olive crutes, cucumber & lime gel
- Seared Scallops: Miso emulsion, wakame salad, dashi gel
- Pedro Ximenez Braised Beef Cheeks: Truffled potato purée, pedro ximenez sherry
The staff was very helpful in their recommendations and they were very knowledgeable in their descriptions of each dish upon presentation. I really loved everything, especially the Heirloom Tomato Salad, and Braised Beef Cheeks. Do not hesitate to enjoy half of each of your plates to save room for dessert as the experience builds like a crescendo from there! To note, the restaurant itself is quite dark, so it can be difficult to see the detail of the dishes and take clear photographs.
Our dessert tasting menu included the following:
- Smoking Rosemary Caramelia Cigar Box: 2 valrhona caramelia chocolate and rosemary infused cigars, raspberry vinaigrette gel, smoked chocolate ash ($26)
- Passionista: Passionfruit curd, passion fruit fluid gel, passionfruit jelly, dehydrated passionfruit air, aerated basil ganache, basil ice-cream, fresh baby basil, sesame oat soil & salted caramel ($26)
- Strawberry Kisses: Spiced strawberry sorbet, vanilla panna cotta, raspberry & rose cremeaux, opalys powder, pomegranate meringue, white peach nitro. ($29)
- Om Nom Choc Nut Bomb: Peanut butter parfait, peanut butter powder, chocolate coated rice bubbles, raspberry fluid gel, dehydrated chocolate mousse. ($28)
The desserts really are delicious and are very complex. The concept is very unique and each menu item is certainly a conversation starter, making for a great first date destination. My particular favorite was the Om Nom Choc Nut Bomb, the peanut butter powder and raspberry fluid gel, for example, were out of this world. I can still reminisce and taste the flavors, and am already looking forward to my next visit in the foreseeable future.
View their full menu here. A special experience includes Dessert Degustation for $49/per person. Included in this price is a sampling of three desserts of your choosing, excluding Autumn in Japan. Step into an edible fantasyland and experience degustation paired with one of their many grandiose cocktails!
Om Nom Kitchen is open for lunch 12pm-3:30pm on Thursday and Friday. Dinner is served seven days a week, 6-10pm on Sunday-Thursday, and 6-11:30pm Friday and Saturday. On Monday-Wednesday, a limited snack menu and two signature desserts are available. High Tea is offered on Saturdays and Sundays.
https://omnom.kitchen // +61 3-8080-8827