Planning a trip to the Big Apple is one of the more exciting things you can do with your family. The city offers so many choices, it’s hard to decide where to go. It might help to break your site-seeing excursions into categories and then pick your favorites in each section. Listed below are a few of the most-loved attractions by category.
- The National 9/11 Memorial commemorates the people we lost during the terrorist attacks. It also honors all the brave men and women who risked their lives in the aftermath of the tragedy. The museum is both educational and inspirational.
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art is one of the most popular tourist attractions in New York City. It features amazing art pieces and sculptures from all over the world spanning the last 5000 years.
- The American Museum of Natural History displays relics from vast cultures, as well as animal exhibits ranging from dinosaurs to whales. The museum also features a planetarium.
- Museum of Modern Art has the most original pieces of art from the modern era, from Van Gogh to the contemporary art of today.
Shows and Concerts
- The Metropolitan Opera is one of the most-visited opera houses in the United States. It hosts numerous shows, concerts and events all year long.
- “School of Rock The Musical” is a funny musical adaptation of the hit movie by the same name and is appropriate for the whole family.
- “Wicked” is a popular Broadway musical based on The Wizard of Oz.
- “The Lion King” is still going strong after more than 5000 performances.
Architectural Buildings and Landmarks
- The Empire State Building boasts a 360-degree view at the top of its 86th floor. You can see Central Park at one end and the Statue of Liberty at the other.
- Grand Central Terminal, which is home to both a railroad and subway station, is one of the busiest and most intriguing landmarks in Midtown. Almost 750,000 people visit each day.
- Rockefeller Center is home to NBC, Radio City Music Hall and many other famous studios. Each winter the skating rink draws many visitors.
- The Statue of Liberty is situated in New York Harbor on Liberty Island. Lady Liberty is a must-see for all visitors to New York City.
- Yankee Stadium is a great place to take the family to see an exciting baseball game in the Bronx.
- Madison Square Garden, an iconic building, is home to the New York Knicks basketball team and the New York Rangers hockey team. It is also an event venue for many live concerts and shows.
- MetLife Stadium, which is nearby in New Jersey, is home to both the Giants and Jets NFL football teams.
National Historic Landmarks
There are too many historic sites in New York City to list, but they include such things as Central Park, the Brooklyn Bridge and the American Stock Exchange. If you are intrigued by visiting the homes of famous musicians, there are many to check out, such as Louis Armstrong’s home and Duke Ellington’s apartment.
There are so many tourist attractions in New York City, but planning your excursion ahead of time will help you to get the most out of your trip.